Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 3 - Blog Posting #6 -Communities of Practice

Being Italian-American I have very often been apart of many social networks. As I spoke about in my prior post social networks are nothing new they have been around for years, its just now they are online. Even our social networks in life, from our schools to our churches are going online. Social networks all us to stay in constant communication with one another, as well as send a local message even further. Any interest you may have, ideas you want to discus can be accessed through these social networks.

One social network our school has used to communicate with students, parents, and teachers is edline. If you are not familiar with edline check out the video bellow. Edline is a closed social network that allows information to be shared among a community of learners. Many schools throughout the country use this, I encourage you to check our their website if you have never heard of it. This allows you to create one stop shopping to all the websites and information for your classes.

I have used edline for about 7 years now and each year I find something new and exciting to offer my students. A few years ago I discovered embedding on edline which allowed me to included many of my Web 2.0 tools right on my edline page. I use YouTube, Podcast, Twitter, and many other Web 2.0 tools, that I have been able to embedded in my edline page so students don’t have to go to multiple sites to get information from my multiple websites. Edline also allows students to upload and download assignments, allowing a greener approach to your classroom as well. The only copies I make at work now are for tests. Any handout or reading I have my students do they must download from edline. This has not only saved me time, but also helps teach my students responsibility. I have truly enjoyed using edline and believe that this example of a social network shows the power of many of these Web 2.0 tools to help the 21st century learner achieve success.




No comments:

Post a Comment