Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 3 - Blog Posting #5 -Social Media

Social media has taken over our life, or has it? One thing that is changing faster than technology is the way we use technology to interact. My grandmother just figured out how to e-mail, good luck getting her to create a Facebook or Twitter account. These technologies are moving so rapidly its hard to keep up, I remember social media when Friendster was the start of things, then MySpace, and who can forget the old Facebook. Now we are awaiting the next best thing, I mean who would have thought that MySpace would seem like a ghost town compared to Facebook.

No matter how these technologies continuously develop one thing stays the same, they are all used to communicate socially. I found a great site that talks about these foundations of this idea of communication. The key to success in education is the communication of ideas to our students, so why not use any and all communication devices available?

I have been able to incorporate many social media tools to use in my classroom. I have found great success using YouTube and podcast in my classroom. I have used both to teach lessons, give exam reviews, or just keep students up to date on the happenings in my classroom. This year I have been very excited to welcome twitter into my classroom. I feel it has been a great success and my students have really enjoyed it. Its help more with keeping students organized as I have been using Twitter to update on due dates and other important events in my classroom.

One thing that I fear with social media is the use of Facebook. I feel the students still haven’t figured out how to use it properly, so this creates a problem for teachers. I think it would be a great resource in the classroom, but students sometimes put compromising items on their Facebook that could create a conflict of interest for teachers. I really like the discovery of Ning so you can create your own controlled social network. I really would like to try next year to create some type of social network for my students. I truly feel that teaching religion this could really benefit my students.


No comments:

Post a Comment